The main objectives of the project are to design, implement and validate techniques exploring BSs collaboration for future wireless systems. The aim is to design practical multicell transmission and reception techniques to improve the user’s fairness and throughput, namely at the cell-edges. The specific objectives include:
• Design multiuser linear precoding techniques for downlink of multicell MIMO-OFDM based networks.
• Design multiuser detection techniques for uplink of multicell MIMO SC-FDMA based networks.
• Assessment and validation of the proposed downlink and uplink algorithms under realist scenarios, trough a link level simulator based on LTE specification.
• Development of an FPGA based testing infrastructure allowing to experimentally show the feasibility of the proposed algorithms. Only some selected downlink precoding algorithms will be tested in this infrastructure.
• Attract students for a career in R&D in the field of telecommunications.
• Promotion of research collaborations between research groups within the Institute for Telecommunications.